How to Peel Crawfish
Eating crawfish for the first time can be a little intimidating. It can be messy, but if you know how to peel crawfish it is always very rewarding. Before you start to peel crawfish. It is highly recommended to have a roll of paper towels handy. Also be sure to have a few layers of yesterdays newspaper laid out on your eating surface. Or you can use Crawfish trays.
How to Peel Crawfish: Suck the head, and Pinch the tail.
- Separate the tail from the head by twisting them apart and firmly grasping the lower part of the head with a pinch.
- (Optional) Suck the juice from the head of the crawfish while you are still pinching the lower part of the crawfish head. You should leave a small opening so that the crawfish juice can come out, but not too much as to allow anything else out of the head.
- The shell of a crawfish is segmented. Remove the first few segments of the shell from the tail (head end) until there is enough meat for you to grasp.
- Holding the meat with your index finger and thumb, pinch the base of the tail (2 segments up from the tip).
- With the other index and thumb and gently pull apart.
- Eat the tail meat.
How to eat crawfish tip - Keep a few lemon wedges handy to help clean the spice off of your hands when you are done.
Crawfish eating just like boiling crawfish is an art, find what works for you but continue to experiment. Once you learn how to peel crawfish, you will be an expert in no time. The first few times may take a few tries to get all of the meat from the tail of the crawfish. With practice, you will get the hang of it. (adding leaks to the crawfish boil will make the meat easier to extract from the tail of the crawfish).