How many pounds of crawfish per person?
Are you wondering how much Crawfish to Order for your Boil. The amount of crawfish that you need for your boil depends largely on the skill of your guests and the amount of sides you will serve. How many pounds of crawfish per person? An average person will consume 3 - 5 pounds of crawfish each. If you have long time crawfish eaters they might consume closer to 8 to 10 pounds. That being said, a 30 lb sack of crawfish will feed 6 to 10 people depending on appetite.
The other factor that will play a major factor in the amount of crawfish consumed, is the additional items you boil with the crawfish. Red Potatoes and Corn on the Cob are pretty standard for crawfish boils, but people boil almost anything with crawfish now ...
- Andouille Sausage
- Smoked Sausage
- Hot dogs
- Orange slices
- Turkey necks
- Brussel Sprouts
- French Green Beans
A tip for adding vegetables to your crawfish boil:
- Use cans of corn, green beans, carrots, or potatoes.
- Do not open the cans, just poke holes in the cans.
- Drain the liquid from the cans through the holes, and then add the can to the boil.
- Open the can after the veggies have cooked in the crawfish boil.
- The veggies will taste great from being cooked in the crawfish boil, and you will not have to strain the pot to find your veggies when you are ready to serve.
How many pounds of crawfish per person is all dependent on what you serve with your crawfish, and how filling the extras are. Using canned veggies, sausage, or meats as fillers, should help in providing great tasting extras, but keep the total amount of crawfish per person down. Hopefully you don't have to teach everyone how to eat crawfish at your seafood boil, but if you do, those amateurs will probably leave a lot more crawfish for you to enjoy.