Southern Bacon and Crawfish Cornbread
This Crawfish Cornbread dish is really a meal in itself! Crawfish Cornbread served great as a main dish or a side. Left overs are great to stuff a chicken for roasting!
Mardi Gras will be here soon. Make an authentic batch of crawfish cornbread to celebrate Mardi Gras. Use frozen crawfish tail meat (or if you are lucky enough fresh peeled crawfish tails), Creole seasoning, jalapenos, and cheddar cheese for that Nawlins Louisiana flavor.
This cornbread is a great compliment beside a bowl of Red Beans and Rice. It is even hearty enough to serve with a nice green salad for a meal.
- 2 pounds of precooked crawfish tail meat
- 1 large can of cream style can
- 10 ounces of cooked and coarsely crumbled bacon
- 1 pound of grated cheddar cheese
- 3 seeded and chopped jalapeno peppers
- 1 large chopped onion
- 8 tbsp of stick butter
- 1/2 a cup of finely chopped bell pepper
- 1 tbsp of virgin olive oil
- 3 slightly beaten eggs
- 1 tsp of Creole Seasonings
- 2 packages of cornbread mix (or 2 cups yellow cornmeal)
- 1 tsp of baking soda
- 3 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 3/4 cup of chopped green onions
- 1 medium finely chopped yellow onion
Crawfish Cornbread Directions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Saute onions and bell pepper in a little butter, cooking until onions are transparent.
- Add crawfish tails and saute for another 3 minutes.
- Add jalapeno pepper and set aside.
- Stir the cornmeal, baking powder, salt and creole seasoning together in a very large bowl.
- Stir in the eggs and mix thoroughly.
- Add the onion, cheese, corn, crawfish, and jalapenos and stir until everything is completely mixed together and evenly distributed.
- Mix all other ingredients in the large bowl. (except olive oil)
- Pour olive oil into a 10 inch cast iron skillet and place in oven to heat for eight minutes.
- Pour cornbread mixture into hot skillet (Spread the cornbread into the prepared skillet, smoothing out the surface).
- Bake for 45 – 50 minutes until golden and firm, and a tester comes out clean.
- Let rest for about 10 minutes before slicing and serving warm.
Bacon blended with Crawfish. What else needs to be said? This Southern Bacon and Crawfish Cornbread recipe is a real crowd pleaser. This recipe is almost as popular as Jazz Fest Crawfish Bread.