Crawfish Mac and Cheese New Orleans
Everybody loves Mac and Cheese, and who doesn't love crawfish? Crawfish Mac and Cheese is dream marriage of the best seafood around blended with macaroni and lots of cheese.
The Little Jewel of New Orleans Grocery and Deli in Los Angeles, was featured on Diners, Drive Ins & Dives (Crawfish mac and cheese diners drive ins and dives). The meal that received the best review was the crawfish mac and cheese. There are many ways to make this dish, various different crawfish mac and cheese recipes. This is our version of Little Jewel crawfish mac and cheese recipe.
- 12 oz uncooked Rotini or Cavatappi pasta
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 slices of bacon
- 2 sliced green onions
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of self-rising flour
- 1 cup of half and half (milk and cream)
- 1 pound of cooked crawfish tails
- 1½ cup of shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1½ cup of shredded Monterrey jack cheese
- 1 tsp of Slap Ya Mama Cajun seasoning
- 3 tablespoons of Italian breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon red cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 quart of water
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 chopped large onion
Crawfish Mac and Cheese Directions
- Add salt to the quart of water in a medium size pot.
- Bring to a boil
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Drain and set aside.
- Heat the half and half, one-half of the chopped onion, and the bay leaf in a large saucepan until tiny bubbles form around the edges; do not boil.
- Cover and remove from heat; let stand 15 minutes.
- Cook bacon in a skillet, remove when crisp and crumble. Set aside.
- In the skillet that bacon was cooked, add olive oil on medium heat.
- Add the other half of the onion, and cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in crawfish tail meat and minced garlic and cook, stirring constantly for 4 minutes.
- Add the half and half mixture and flour, cajun seasoning, and cayenne pepper.
- Cook for 4 minutes and whisk constantly to prevent clumps.
- Add cheeses and stir until melted.
- Fold pasta and half of the bacon into cheese sauce.
- Top with crumbled bacon and bread crumbs.
- Remove garnish with green onions slices.
- Allow to cool 5 minutes before serving.
You can also place the Crawfish Mac and Cheese in the oven on broil, until breadcrumbs are golden. Giving your Crawfish Mac and Cheese New Orleans a nice breaded texture.