Crawfish and Crab Stew
This is another great recipe that uses leftover crawfish tails, or packaged crawfish tail meat. Crawfish and Crab Stew is a hearty meal when served on a bed of white rice, and is great on a chilly day.
Crawfish and Crab Stew Ingredients
- 3 cups of chicken stock
- 1 stalk of chopped celery
- 3 tablespoons of dry roux
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoon of virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of salted butter
- 4 cloves of minced garlic
- 1 pound of cooked and peeled crawfish tails, with the fat
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 1 large diced onion
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 seeded and chopped bell pepper
- Cayenne pepper to taste
- Hot sauce to taste
- Slap Ya Mama Creole seasoning to tast
- 1 pound of Louisiana Blue crabmeat
- 1/2 a of cup chopped green onion tops (scallions)
- 1/4 op a cup of chopped parsley
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
Crawfish and Crab Stew Directions
- Bring the chicken stock to a boil, and whisk in the dry roux until it is dissolved into the chicken stock.
- Add the bay leaf, reduce the heat to low, and simmer.
- Meanwhile, in a heavy pot over medium heat, melt the butter and the olive oil.
- Add the onion, celery, bell pepper and garlic, and cook until softened and translucent, about 15 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock with roux, crawfish and lemon juice.
- Season to taste with salt, black pepper, creole seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne, and hot sauce.
- Simmer for another 30 minutes.
- Add the crabmeat, and adjust the seasonings to your liking.
- Cook only until crabmeat is heated through.
- Add the chopped green onion tops and parsley.
- Serve on hot buttered rice with scallions and potato salad.
Making a Dry Roux
- 2 cups of all purpose Flour
- 9 1/2 inch Pyrex pie dish
Brown flour in a microwave in the Pyrex pie dish. Start off cooking on high for 3 minutes. Remove dish from microwave, and stir flour quickly. Scrape the bottom and sides of the dish as quickly as possible. Return to microwave for 2 minutes, remove the pie dish, and repeat the scraping and stirring. Return to microwave for 1 minute, remove, and repeat the scraping and stirring. Continue in 1 minute cycles until the color of your roux is acceptable. For Crawfish and Crab Stew, I do a lighter Roux than for my gumbos.