Cafe Du Monde Beignet Recipe
You can buy Café du Monde Beignets as a mix now, but if you would like to do it yourself, here is the Cafe Du Monde Beignet Recipe. Some restaurants just use a sweetened biscuit dough with baking powder for the leavening, but traditional Beignets were made up with yeast the night before and cooked fresh in the morning.
- 1 cup of lukewarm water
- 1/4 cup of granulated sugar
- 1/2 a tsp of salt
- 1 large egg (room temperature & beaten)
- 2 Tbsp of softened butter
- 1/2 a cup of evaporated milk
- 4 cups of bread flour (you can also use all purpose flour)
- 3 tsp of instant active dry yeast
- vegetable oil for frying: use just enough oil to completely cover the beignets when frying.
- powdered sugar for dusting these delicious snacks.
Cafe Du Monde Beignet Recipe Directions
- Use a (a) bread machine or (b) dough mixer.
a. If you use a bread machine - Add all of the liquid ingredients, then add the dry ingredients with yeast last. Select dough setting and press Start, allow to run only until the dough cycle has finished.
b. If you are using a mixer with a dough hook - Place the water, sugar, salt, egg, butter, evaporated milk, flour, and yeast in the bowl. Beat until the texture is smooth.
- Place the dough into a lightly oiled bowl and form all of the dough into an oval. Cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap, and refrigerate the bowl until it is chilled (at least 3 to 4 hours) or overnight.
- To prepare the dough for cooking, remove the bowl from the refrigerator and roll it out on a lightly floured board to 1/2-inch thickness. Cut into approximately 3-inch squares, triangles, or circles. (or let the kids join in on the fun using large cookie cutters)
- In a deep fryer or large pot, heat vegetable oil to 365° F. Fry the beignets (2 or 3 at a time) for 2 to 3 minutes or until they are puffed and golden brown on both sides, turning them in the oil with tongs once or twice to get them evenly brown; beignets will rise to the surface of the oil as soon as they begin to puff. (NOTE: If the beignets don't rise to the top immediately when dropped into the oil, the oil is not hot enough.)
- Remove the beignets from the oil and place them on a plate covered with paper towels to drain, then sprinkle heavily with powdered sugar. Serve hot.
The dough can be kept for up to a week in the refrigerator - it actually improves with age; just punch down when it rises. (Dough can also be frozen; shape beignets before freezing.)
This Cafe Du Monde Beignet Recipe is great for a breakfast meal. Beignets are normally served with powdered sugar and coffee. But beignets are also great for dessert. Just add some sweetened berries on top, and a big dollop of whipped cream.